Well, we’re half way through the week and so half way through the Kids Clothes Week Challenge. So far it’s been lots of fun and I’ve been good and organised. Well, organised enough to get lots of sewing done, but not enough to post a project each day. It’s been raining all week and so dark I can’t take any photos. Anyway, here’s what I’ve made so far:
First up I made Roman another pair of pants that I’ve named ‘Boys Skinny Rib’. They made from ribbing, and are almost leggings, but a little more loose. I made the pattern up from a pair of Bonds skinny ribs that he has and I love! I really like the slim fit, they look very cool and modern. I’ve made 3 pairs of these previously and thought it was time for another. They are 2 pieces cut on the fold (so there are no outside leg seams) and have a wide cuff on the bottom. The best part is they’re nice and comfy for Roman and easy to take on and off. Just a simple elastic waistband to finish them off. I did all the seams on the overlocker, except the waistband, so they come together in an hour.
I’ve been wanting to have a go at making some soft soled shoes for a while. I have some leather that I want to use to make a pair, so did a test run in denim first. I used an old pair of jeans for the outer, some scraps from making a sleeping bag for the lining and a scrap of suede for the bottoms. They’re lined in the middle with some polar fleece so that they can be worn as slippers. They’re a bit big for Roman at the moment as I made them to fit when he grows out of the slippers he has now.
I used this tutorial and pattern to make them. (link is no longer live).
I’ve been stock piling old t-shirts of hubby’s and mine to recycle into tops for Roman. This challenge meant I finally got around to doing it. I usually make up my own patterns for clothes, but I’d heard so many great reviews of Rae’s flashback skinny tee that I decided to buy the pattern. The sizing goes up to a 5, so I figured I’ll get a lot of use out of it. The pattern is great and the instructions are really easy to follow.
I made the green t-shirt up first to test out the pattern. Roman’s head circumference is off the charts huge, so I cut the neck a little deeper at the front, but probably didn’t need to because I finished the neck off with self-binding rather than ribbing, which makes the opening a bit wider. The top fits Roman really well and I love him in it, because the top reminds me of his Dad. The colour look great on him too!
The polo was an old one of mine that I didn’t wear a lot because it was a little narrow on the shoulders. Again, using Rae’s pattern it came out great! This was a very quick project because all the neckline was already done on the polo, I just had to add in the re-cut sleeves and sew up the sides and the hem.
I’m also in love with my new double needle. I used it to finish the hems on both tops and they look so professional.