Free Knitting Pattern: Knitted Baby Uggs

baby uggs

These cute baby booties are a quick project to knit. You will love this free knitting pattern! The booties are knit in one piece, so there’s hardly any seaming or ends to weave in and they stay on pretty well even without ribbons. These Knitted Baby Uggs are a lovely modern take on the traditional baby bootee. I’ve made quite a few pairs of these for Roman, some in cotton, some in wool.

New to knitting? Take a look at my Knitting for Beginners Series.

Baby Uggs (3 – 6, 6 – 12, 12 – 18 months)

Download Pattern Here46736 downloads

If you’re having trouble downloading the pattern, you can also get it from Craftsy, here.
Gauge is approx 5 – 6 stitches/inch.

I used Rowan Pima Cotton DK for these. They used just over half the ball for the smallest size.

free knitting pattern baby uggs

If you like this pattern then please take a moment to like me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter to keep up to date with thingsforboys.

Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Comments

1. Tabatha says

I have to say i love your blog and all your creativity! Thank you for sharing your pattern. i just finished the first one and i cant wait to finish the other and get them on my little guy.

2. Linda says

I love this little shoes, and I wanted to start making them. But I don’t really know how to. Do you start with just knitting for 5 inch? And the pattern says size 5 needles (double pointed or circular or regular?) Maybe it’s not easy enough for me?! But I want to try it

3. thingsforboys says

@Linda – yes, you knit back and forth for 5 inches, making a long rectangle (this makes the fold over cuff). You then pick up stitches along one of the long sides to start the boot. The booties are knit back and forth, so you only need regular needles. If you find it more comfortable, you can use a circular needle without knitting in the round. Hope this makes sense. Drop me an email on the contact page if you have any trouble.

4. Linda says

Ok, I did start one boot already, just thinking that I should trie following the pattern without asking any questions and that it woud work. But I have to translate the pattern for myself (because I speak Dutch). But I am giving it a go and will let you know once I have finished them! Thank you already!

5. Deb Redhair says

This is my first time trying a pattern. Your awesome pattern. And I’m having a little trouble. I would be forever grateful if you could help me. 1.) I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with the stitches on my needles when i go from the cuff to the instep? 2.) on instep how do I go from the 20 knits on needle to only 10 purls? 3.) I completely don’t understand teh 3rd paragraph in the instep section? thank you so much if you could take the time out of your day to answer my questions. lil_deb 83 at yahoo dot com

6. thingsforboys says

@Deb – you knit 20, then turn around and only purl 10. Then you turn around again, and knit 10. That way the first 10 stitches just sit on your needles, and you work back and forth on the middle 10 stitches. You end up knitting a flap in the middle. Then you pick up stitches along the sides of the flap and join it all together again.

I hope this makes sense.

7. Anonymous says

I am having trouble finding the pattern. When I finally did I had trouble printing. Could you please e-mail the pattern.

8. kathie says

i’m having trouble with the instep part as well. Do I pick up the stitches from the middle of where the cuff is? I love the pattern because it’s so simple, but typical, I have to make it more difficult. :-)

• thingsforboys says

Hi Kathie, you knit the cuff, then pick up stitches all the way along one side of the cuff. Then you work a few rows on those, then work back and forth on just the middle 10 stitches (makes a T shape) then pick up stitches on either side of the flap.

I sometimes find it easier to blindly follow a knitting pattern until I can figure out what’s going on. (and I always thought I’d make my own so well written that I would never need to do that) ha!

Hope that helps!

9. Anonymous says

Hi,

I’m trying to knit up the baby uggs and have ran into a problem. Hopefully I can make it clear and you can tell me where I went wrong. I had no problem until I got down to the finishing. I ended up with 30 stitches left which your pattern says. When I divide the stitches onto the two needles, the sole doesn’t look right. It only measured 2 inches, where the rest of the ugg looks like its the right proportion. Is the sole the only spot that needs to be sewn up, cause mine needed to be sewn from the top of the cuff all the way down to the sole. Where did I go wrong?? Love the baby uggs. So cute and thanks for it.

• thingsforboys says

Hi Anon – The 30 stitches left for the sole are divided over 2 needles and then finished using a 3 needle bind off or kitchener stitch. The sole is done this way so that it sits fairly flat and is comfortable to wear. After you’ve done the sole, the back (heel) and the cuff still need to be sewn up. If you still have any questions, please send me an email using the contact page and I’ll try and explain it differently.

• Anonymous says

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess my question is about the length of the sole. On your pattern,it says the sole measurement is 3.5″. Mine was maybe 2″. Can’t figure out where that went wrong. Sole might fit a newborn, but the rest of the bootie would be enormous. I can see now that the cuff and rest still needs to be sewn up also. Just can’t figure out that darn soul!
      Thanks so much. Won’t let me use my name so I’m still Anon.. Lol

• thingsforboys says

the smallest size in the pattern is 3 – 6 months, not newborn. The shaping for the sole does curve it in a bit, so the measurement of the bit you bind off will be a bit shorter than the actual length of the ugg. Hope that makes sense

10. Jacqueline says

i want to make these but i might be too much of a beginner. i started the first garter piece and it looks good but when i pick up the side stitches i can only get 24. not sure if i should just sew the cuff longer or start over and stitch tighter? it looks really good and like your picture, it just doesnt have 30 stitches to pick up down the side??

• thingsforboys says

Is your cuff piece long enough? It should be at least 5 inches (depending on which size you’re making). Do you know how many rows you knitted? You must have done more than 30 rows. Please send me an email via my contact page if you’re still stuck and I can email you. HTH

11. Anonymous says

Do you happen to have this figured for newborn size also. I’m having a new grandchild soon and would like to have a pair for them to wear home from the hospital, maybe even preemie size if possible. If not could you maybe tell me how I could figure it out by decreasing how many stitches? Thanks for any help you could give me.

• thingsforboys says

Unfortunately, I don’t have a pattern for smaller sizes, but I think the best way to go about it would be to use a finer yarn and smaller needles. Knit the cuff 4 – 4.5″ long and then work the pattern as written. The smaller needles and yarn will make the bootie work out smaller. Please let me know how you go!

12. Anonymous says

I am making the 6-12 month size. For the instep do I knit 22 and purl 12 to use up the 34 stitches on the needle? The directions for that size only account for 32 stitches.

• thingsforboys says

Hi Anon, you knit 22, then TURN, then purl 10 (so you’re purling the last 10 stitches you just knit) You will work on the middle 10 stitches, leaving 12 on the start of the needle and the other 12 on the other needle. So you’ve got 12 + 10 + 12 = 34. HTH

13. Anonymous says

I am to step 3 where I pick up 7 stitches along side of instep. I can’t figure out how I’m doing that as I have 13 rows I’ve just knit for the instep.

14. Anonymous says

Hi Im having problems with your step 3,i pick up 7 then if i go to knit the 10 on the other needle i have a piece of wool that is NOT knitted into any stitches is that right?? Doesn’t seem right!
    Do I have the wrong side facing me?
    Any chance of a visual please???

• thingsforboys says

You pick up 7 along one size of the flap, knit the 10 stitches that are next to those (the right side is facing you). Now you will turn the work over (wrong side up) purl the 10 stitches you just knit and the 7 you picked up. Then purl the 10 middle stitches. Then pickup the 7 from the other side of the instep, then purl the 10 from the side. I don’t have a photo, but there is a diagram in the pattern. You shouldn’t have any yarn just hanging there. HTH

15. Anonymous says

I love the construction of this pattern and thanks for sharing! Do you happen to know a gauge for this? Because I tried to knit the 6-12 month and mine came out much too small. Maybe I am knitting too tight? I’m not sure what to do to make it work. Thanks for your help!

16. Anonymous says

These are great but because I am new to knitting booties. Perhaps you could take photos to explain the different steps. I had trouble with the pattern what
    I interpreted as the directions SOOOOOO did not work. After reading through some of the other questions I think I might have figured it out… But I am a very visual learner and need to see steps…. and because I am new to knitting booties. I wish I could just watch you make them,…Perhaps in future
    you could take photos to explain the different steps.

• thingsforboys says

I have it on my to do list, but it’s a very long list and with the warm weather on the way here, I’m not really in the mood for knitting. When I get the chance I will add some pictures to the pattern.

17. Maria Duque says

Can you please email me the pattern as well?
    I really want to try these… I trully love the way you take the time to answer each and every question here… congrats on a great job!!! If I come across any issues when I start these, I too will leave you questions… rite now I’m crotcheting my nephew a blanket, but definitely want to knit these botties… I’m home for a month with a FRACTURED toe… if you have any other cute patterns u can email me as well, I would appreciate it. My nephew should be born in few weeks, I also have a 3 1/2 yr old niece…would love to make her something as well… thank you
    Maria
    Greensilver119@msn.com

18. Diane says

I’m working on the instep. When I pick up the 7 stitches along the side of the instep am I knitting as I pick up? Then it says to knit 10 but how can I knit ten if the yarn is at the beginning of where I picked up the 7. Heeeelllllp :(

• thingsforboys says

Hi Diane, to me, ‘pick up’ and ‘pick up and knit’ mean the same thing, so sorry for the confusion. You need to pick up and knit the stitches, so your yarn comes along with you.

19. Anonymous says

Please help I have started but I am confused and I have been knitting for over30 years. I did row 1 and 2 but going into row 3 what do I do with the extra 2 stitches from my YO and each right side row I increase 2 more stitches what do I do with them just knit them into the pattern? Could you please e-mail the pattern as my great grandson is due any day now, My e=mail address is cndyrn1948@yahoo.com. Thank you very much, Candace Geronilla

20. Anonymous says

Hi! Thank you for this gorgeous pattern. I’ve just knitted them for my son and they look gorgeous in alpaca wool. Just a question, after I finish sewing up, the top of the slipper is in garter stitch not stocking stitch. I’m just wondering what I’m doing wrong? Not the cuff, but the section that covers the top of his foot. My email is luhissey@icloud.com. They still look gorgeous though!

21. Anonymous says

Hi, thank you for sharing your pattern. I’m making baby clothes for a group of helping people on Facebook. « Entraide de toute sorte » and there are many girly patterns but not much suitable for boys. Thanks again. Linda Cardin

22. syinpp@yahoo.com says

Can you please explain the M1 (make 1). Does that mean increase a stitch? Also, what is the kitchener stitch? How do you do it? Thanks for your reply. i love these Uggs, want to make them for a baby shower..

23. Anonymous says

I’m not able to download the pattern for the baby uggs. Would it be possible to email me the pattern? I don’t see it on Ravelry. You do beautiful work! I’m fairly new to knitting but LOVE it.

24. daphne birchfield says

Hi. The issue i’m having is picking up the 30 stitches on the edge. Now I’ve tried doing this with three different types of yarn and each time it isn’t possible to pick up 30 stitches (after knitting for 5″). I’ve looked at a couple different versions of how to pick. Am i not using the right yarn?

25. jasmine sumner says

Hi, I love this and really want to make them but I get so confused reading patterns because I am very new to knitting.
    I have just done the 5inch cuff and bind off.
    So…… Now pick up stitches…..I am not sure I fully understand this bit but I shall look at some videos on how to do it but…….the 30 bit does this mean since i have cast on 16 and have knitted 58 rows I only pick up the 30 and leave 28 alone?
    Sorry if this is a silly question but I am trying to learn this skill and think there are a few steps I will struggle with but only focusing on one step at a time.
    Thank you.

26. cwmnie says

Thank you for this pattern, my month old grandson has big feet for his age and nothing seems to fit him! These will be great to keep his little tootsies warm this winter!

27. Gail Davidson says

Hi – I’m a novice too. I’ve worked out how to pick up the 30 stitches – should I knit them too please? And which direction should I be picking them up from – closest to the needle or furthest? Thanks

• thingsforboys says

Hi Gail, you need to divide the stitches over 2 needles. Take the needle out of half of the stitches, then slide in another needle. You then need to take out the other needle and put it back in the other way. I hope that makes sense. You could also knit half a row. The sides would be uneven, but you probably wouldn’t notice.

28. Gramma says

Can’t download pattern. Don’t have a computer at home and work computer does not have Vista. Cannot download a special program at work just to print a pattern! Why can’t it just be made available in the same format as all other patterns??

29. Barbara Kinzett says

Love the bootees so easy, but have to tell you what attracted me to them was the cup and saucer! my Mum (long passed) had the whole set was given a tea set for silver Anniversary in 1960 and it was added to through the years Dinner service, teapot etc etc, she left it to my youngest son, whom uses it for special times, lovely memories thank you Barbara NZ

• abby says

A whole set in that pattern would be so lovely! I found my cup and saucer at an antique shop in Brighton.