It’s been about 6 months since I had my fabric labels printed with Spoonflower, so I thought I’d do a follow up to show you how they look today.
You can see my original post here, but basically I made up a logo and had it printed onto some quilting cotton*. The tricky thing I did was print them on the bias (at 45°), the idea being that I wont need to press the edges under before sewing them on. It does leave a little wastage, but I got about 600 labels out of a yard, so I’m not too fussed if a few aren’t any good.
The label above is looking really good. It is on Roman’s Winter-weight sleeping bag and has probably had about 5 runs through the washing machine. It goes through on a gentle cycle.
The label above is by far the worst looking of all the labels I’ve added. It was sewn onto a pair of toddler jeans I made for Roman and they’ve been through the wash at least 10 times. They go through a long wash too. I also used some really old double sided fusible web on this label and the glue came through to the front, so it looks a bit wax stained. I think it has faded a little, but my washing powder is only ‘low phosphate’ and Spoonflower says to use a ‘phosphate free’ washing powder. Maybe that’s why the label on the sleeping bag looks a lot nicer.
I have to say that just sewing them on with raw edges has gone really well! They do look a little bit ragged, but because they’re printed and cut on the bias, I can sew close to the edges and there’s no chance of them fraying and then falling off. I like the slightly frayed look though. I was thinking of trying some fray check on the edges to see if it stops them fraying, but I haven’t gotten around to it. My fingers are also happy because I like to burn them on the iron when doing fiddly things like press little edges under.
All in all, I would definitely use Spoonflower again to print labels and I would get them printed on the bias again too.
*This is not their Kona cotton, but the old quilting cotton they used before they got the Kona.