It’s my turn for Shorts on the Line today, and it’s far too cold to wear shorts here at the moment, so I thought I’d do something a bit different and do a round up of my favourite shorts patterns for boys. Some are free, some are paid, but I think you’ll agree they’re all super cute! As always, they can easily be used for girls too, just change the fabric to suit. I’ve stuck to patterns for shorts, but don’t forget that any pants pattern can be made into shorts just by shortening the legs. The shorts in the picture above were made using a trouser pattern (details here).
1. Hold on to your ovaries ladies before you take a look at this picture…shorts don’t get much cuter than these! The Spruce Suspender Shorts pattern comes in 0-3mo – 18-24mo, but you will also find the 3mo size here on Crafting Zuzzy for free.
2. I love the retro feel of these shorts. They look so nice and comfy, I want a pair! The pattern comes in sizes 0-3mo – 6yr and you can get it here from Brindille and Twig.
3. I love all the extra features that really add to the look of these Skater Shorts. This is a great free pattern that covers sizes 2 – 6.
4. The Long Beach Board Shorts pattern comes in a huge range of sizes (3-6mo – 14yr) with a long leg length for boys, and a cropped length for girls. I made the pair below for Roman (click here for details). They are a nice quick sew and the end result is so fun!
5. Oliver + S have so many gorgeous kids patterns. I’ve made great use of their free bucket hat pattern and I’m looking forward to giving their Sunny Day Shorts pattern a go. It looks quick and easy, and best of all, it’s free!
7. These Beach Bum Bermuda Shorts from Peek-a-boo Pattern Shop have some great features. The pattern comes in sizes 3mo – 8yr and the instructions include details for adding an adjustable waistband, which is always handy!
8. Dana from MADE has a heap of tutorials for kids pants and shorts, and these shorts even include a free pattern for size 2-3T. There is also a sized pattern for sale. Take a look at this post from Make it Handmade to see just some of the things you can do with this pattern.
9. Blank Slate Patterns has a great collection of patterns for boys, including this pattern for the Big Island Board Shorts. The pattern includes sizes 18mo – 8yr.
10. For a one-stop pattern, you can’t go past the Comfy Shorts from Sewing Geek. This pattern has sizes 3mo – 18…that’s right, 18 years! It also includes 3 pocket options.
Do you have a favourite shorts pattern that I am missing? Please leave a comment and let me know!
This post is part of the Shorts on the Line sewalong. Shorts on the Line 2014 is sponsored by: Britex Fabrics, Hawthorne Threads, miss matatabi, and Soak Wash. Hosted by imagine gnats, small + friendly, and Kollabora.