Tasty Treats for Furry Friends – Dog Biscuit Recipe

Dog Biscuits

There are a few dogs in our extended family, and I always like to give them something for Christmas too. That way, I don’t feel so bad when they’re begging for the meat off my plate… I’m definitely not going to share that!

This dog biscuit recipe is flavoured with peanut butter and they smell pretty good when they’re cooking. Last time I baked these at my Mother in law’s, Eddie (the dog) sat in front of the oven watching them cooking and he didn’t even know they were for him! If you dare to try one, do so at your own risk. They’re pretty crunchy and I don’t want you chipping a tooth.

Doggie Treats
makes about 60

160g (1 1/2 cups) rolled oats (quick cooking or regular)
50g (1/3 cup) margarine or butter*
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 beef or chicken stock cube
185g (1 cup) peanut butter
1 egg
300g (2 cups) whole meal/whole wheat flour

Doggie Treats

Preheat oven to 165ºC (330°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, margarine, stock cube and boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Thoroughly stir in peanut butter and egg. Mix in flour, until a stiff dough has formed.Knead dough on a lightly floured surface. You may need to add a little more flour as needed until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Roll or pat out dough to 5 mm thickness. I find the dough is a bit rubbery, so I don’t need to roll it between sheets of baking paper, it goes fine straight on the bench. Cut with cookie cutter or a knife and place 1 cm apart onto the prepared baking trays.Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool before serving. Once dry, they should be crisp and hard.The biscuits can be stored in an airtight container in the pantry for at least 12 months. They can also be stored in the freezer for at least 12 months. Simply put into a freezer container or wrap in foil. Can be served frozen for a cool summer treat or left to thaw before serving.

*I haven’t tried it, but if you’re worried about giving your dog butter or margarine, you could substitute with olive oil.

If you like this recipe then please take a moment to like me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter to keep up to date with thingsforboys.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

i bought the cubes today to make this, the cubes have both onion and garlic powders, which both are toxic to dogs. you may want to alter your recipe, as i will not be using this for that reason

• says

I understand your concern but the amount of onion/garlic in a stock cube is so small that even if a little dog ate a couple of stock cubes in one sitting they’d be fine. I think the salt would do more damage than anything. If you’re still worried, you could always leave them out.

• Anonymous says

do you have a substitute for dogs that have grain allergies? Whole Wheat flour and rolled oats won’t work for our dog.

2. Anonymous says

I have found chicken/beef cubes without garlic and onion powder. Knolls for instance, but there are others.

3. says

I was wondering if you knew what I could sub for the wheat flour? My puppy has allergies. It sure would save a lot of $ if I could make treats myself though. Thx!!

4. Laurie Colwell says

I made these at least 4 times I did up treat bags for the doggies in my neighbourhood
    now I did substitute the olive oil instead of the butter my 2 dogs just love them and a few neighbors have asked for the recipe.
    I make a double batch and it lasts at least 2 weeks.
    East to make and good for them and alot cheaper than buying.
    Thanks Pinterest.

5. says

Found your blog through Pinterest. I have made several batches. Since my dog is small, I share with the neighbor’s lab. Both love it! My neighbor’s father almost mistook it for “human” cookies. Mixing a couple batches this weekend for my family’s dogs for their presents under the tree.

• says

You could try any other nut butters, such as almond or coconut, but as I haven’t tried it I can’t tell you how it would turn out. If you do give it a try, please let me know!

6. Anonymous says

These are great, so cheap and my border collie loves them as much as ready made treats. totally recommend.