Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter!

Blanket Coat

I have a strange attraction to things that are possibly so ugly I think they’re amazing! I have a pair of embroidered shoes that definitely fit this category and I have a feeling this coat is one of those things, but no one is game to tell me. The making of this coat was a ‘meant to be’ moment.

A friend of mine gave me some old woollen blankets and there was something about the pumpkin and teal combo that I was drawn to. That same week, I went to the library and found a stack of old Burdastyle magazines in the freebie pile. I snapped them up quick smart! I remember borrowing the magazine ages ago and thinking that the coat looked so nice and comfy. When I saw it again, I knew I had to give it a go.

Blanket Coat Blanket Coat

The pattern is from Burdastyle 11/2010 and is meant to be made from Loden, but I thought that a nice old blanket would work just as well. The original is very over-sized and since I’m not as much of a coat hanger as the model I made mine smaller by cutting the smallest size and omitting the seam allowance. I also shorted the sleeves by about 5cm (2″) as they look crazy long in the original picture. I also think it could do with some waist shaping, so I might play with it a little bit more. I want to add a button too. It has in-seam pockets, which I almost didn’t put on, but hubby said I should and I’m glad he did because my hands are always in them.

Hubby was great and helped me lay out the pattern pieces so that I could match up the blanket pattern symmetrically and try to stick to just one blanket. I was given two of these, so there’s still a possibility for more experimenting. Anyone else thinking matching pants? ;)

Blanket Coat

Comments

• says

A beret would be cool! Come down to Melbourne, Sophie. It’s not that far away ;) Our next door neighbour has an enormous oak tree so the driveway is always covered with leaves.

1. says

This coat is absolutely gorgeous! Wow! I’m so impressed that you made it from an old blanket! And the colour fits autumn so perfectly it seems like it was just meant to be. Love it!

• says

You’ll have to come visit me in Melbourne some time and I’ll give you the second blanket. It would be awesome to know there were 2 of these in the world!

2. Anonymous says

I think it turned out beautiful, I love the colors and style and you look so happy in it! I’m all about loving slightly ugly yet incredibly awesome textiles and colors.

3. Elizabeth W says

I love this! I was just ogling Michael Kors’ blanket coats on Pinterest. I may have to give it a try. Thank you!

4. says

Abby, stop worrying your coat looks amazing…..great score with the blanket. You look great in the coat and I think the trick to wearing something that’s a bit left of field is having the confidence and an ” I don’t care what everyone else thinks I love i” attitude………

Cirque Du Bebe’s idea of a matching beret is spot on, or maybe one knitted/crocheted in that gorgeous teal colour.

I have serious blanket envy, hehe……… No doubt you’ll get plenty of wear out of it at the moment !!

CLaire :}

5. says

I love it – really lovely shape and great colours. And hey, what’s not to love about walking around in a blanket when it’s this cold. And again… Damn, you’ve added to my ‘to do’ list ;-)

6. says

That looks fantastic, really stylish and the colours are perfect for autumn and winter. The fit is lovely on you. Will we see more garments for you after this lucky find in the library?

7. says

Abby, I had to find this post as you mentioned it in your email. I love this! I would love to try it too, and I would definitely try a button or two. This would be perfect when I get home to Canada. Great job!

8. says

Oh wow this is awesome! Thanks for linking to my recycled round-up… do you mind in my next one if I feature it and use one of your pictures? … Now I just have to find some other uses for old woollen blankets … actually I have done a few myself already… and will search pinterest for more… Well done you!