Not too long ago I made a mental note to myself to never bother making a kids shirt. It seemed like too much fiddly work and I thought there were plenty out there cheap enough to buy that it seemed silly to go to the trouble. Then I came across this fabric and 2 days before Easter, I suddenly changed my mind! I’m pretty sure after the Jacket, this is my last Peter Rabbit project. Roman does love it though and often requests to wear both.
I chose the Prepster Pullover pattern from the Blank Slate pattern collection. It gave me enough elements of a shirt, but the fact that it is minus a collar and the buttons only go halfway down made it a bit quicker, which was a plus for me given the time frame!
I made the size 2T as I wanted it to fit well for Easter. I’d rather make another one later than make one that’s too big for a special occasion. I’m really happy with the fit and proportions of the shirt.
I had to think a bit to make sure the print on the placket piece ended up the way I wanted, so I took a lot of notes on that for next time. The yoke finishes the seams off so nicely, and hides all the raw edges away. I also used French Seams on the side seams of the shirt to keep it lovely on the inside.
Roman has just discovered it’s fun to run along the length of the couch. I remember loving to do that when I was a kid. Add that to running around the rest of the house and the non-stop chatter, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get a photo of him sitting still or not talking. I’m not even trying to get one of him sitting still AND not talking. Oh well, at least he’s having fun.
I love the details on this shirt. The contrast top-stitching came out great. The only thing I need to work on is keeping the inside part of the collar nice and neat when sewing it down. I think next time I might try some fusible webbing or something to get it to stay still.
I used extra fabric because I wanted to get the pattern lined up and centred on each piece, but I was surprised how little fabric it still used. I’ve got a huge pile of hubby’s old work shirts that need a new life. The fabric is nice, but they always wear out at the collar and cuffs, so I’ll have to try and see if I can squeeze one of these out of a men’s shirt. I’m looking forward to making another one!
I wish the pattern came with ironing instructions!! Man, it’s hard to iron such a tiny shirt!